The Loddon Mallee Homelessness Network (LMHN) program is staffed by a team made up of a Network Coordinator and Children’s Resource Worker, who are based at the Centre for Non-Violence (CNV) in Bendigo.
The aim of their roles is to provide resources, information and support to Specialist Homelessness Services (SHS) workers located at community services agencies throughout Loddon Mallee region and ensure that SHS staff have access to information about the broader housing sector and opportunities for networking and specialist education.
While the Loddon Mallee Homelessness Network itself, is made up of agencies located in the Loddon Mallee region that are funded through the DHHS Specialist Homelessness Services and Community Housing Programs.
The Loddon Mallee region covers approximately 45,000 square kilometres and contains nine local shire areas, with a total population size of over 300,000 people.
By providing opportunities for collaboration with all Specialist Homelessness Services in the Loddon Mallee Region we aim to:
- Be a voice for children experiencing or at risk of homelessness
- Raise awareness within the network and externally of the issues related to- *Indigenous adults and young people *Refugees *Prisoners *Family Violence *Children Leaving Care
- Promote consistent service response across the network that adheres with relevant standards and legislation.
- Advocate for social change
- Provide opportunities for professional development, networking and information exchange
- Provide opportunities for collaboration and partnership
- Influence, discuss implications of and develop responses to policy and program development
- Provide an opportunity for service gaps and issues to be identified by workers and/or agencies
- Undertake research and advocacy related to issues that affect people who are experiencing homelessness and those in housing crisis
Opening Doors is an area based service coordination framework, intended to guide and improve client assessment, referral and resource allocation across the Victorian homelessness service system.
Bringing together homelessness service providers through Local Area Service Networks (LASNs), by sharing assessment and referral processes, resource allocation and service system development.
LASNs are responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining the Opening Doors model within their own local catchment areas with the assistance of DHHS Regions.